Whittier: Board of Trade, 1906. 16pp. Oblong octavo. Original printed wrappers, stapled. Light soiling and wear. Very good. Item #1023
Published less than twenty years after Whittier was founded by Quakers, this promotional work proudly proclaims that "there is now town of its size that will rank higher in intelligence, morality, and progressiveness." Just fourteen miles from Los Angeles, with a population of about 4,000 people, Whittier boasted easy access by rail, a college, hospital, library, an abundance of water, and a budding oil industry. It did not have saloons, and "consequently no need of a jail; and no paupers." Illustrated throughout with half tones, including a panoramic bird's eye view of the town. Relatively scarce, with only four copies located in OCLC, at UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, Swarthmore College, and the Merrimack Valley Library.