[Elgin, Or.]: 1940. pp. plus seven photographic plates and three photographs tipped in at rear. Original green pictorial card covers, metal ring binding. Light chipping and wear to covers, some light soiling. Minor soiling internally. With a page of autographs and information from the other members of the camp. [with]: Photo album: pp. of autographs,  leaves containing forty-six silver gelatin photographs, most approximately 3 x 4 inches. Oblong octavo. Original pictorial covers, string-tied. Wear to covers. Light staining to first two leaves. A few images with faint silver mirroring. Generally clean. Very good. Item #909
A small archive compiled by Alphonse M. Tacilauskas of Brooklyn documenting his service at Camp Elgin in northeastern Oregon with the Civilian Conservation Corps. The two pieces -- a lovely mimeograph, real-photo yearbook and a photographic scrapbook -- provide a detailed and attractive record of service in the forestry-oriented Camp manned by a group of recruits originally organized at Fort Dix, New Jersey and composed primarily of New Jersey and New York natives. Tacilauskas was the son of first generation Lithuanian immigrants, and it is almost certain that many of his fellow corpsmen were, as well. He served as a truck driver, and many of the autographs from his fellow campers praise his skilled and careful driving. Many of the snapshots capture him standing next to the heavy duty trucks utilized in camp work. Camp Elgin was part of the Boise District of the CCC, and its myriad projects included construction of a truss bridge over the Wallowa River near Minam (part of Oregon Highway 82), as well as construction of a truck trail and permanent living quarters at a fire guard station in La Grande. A rich primary record of CCC service in the Pacific Northwest.