[Monterey, Ca. ca. 1900s]. Large blueprint map, 52.5 x 65 inches. Light wear and occasional creasing. Several closed tear repaired on verso. Right edge trimmed, slightly affecting image and text. About very good. Item #511
A rare and giant cadastral map showing new subdivisions east of downtown Monterey, in what are now the Del Monte area and the neighboring town of Seaside, north of the present-day airport. The map is quite detailed, drawn at a scale of 300 feet to the inch, and begins in the west at the grounds of the Del Monte Hotel, which today is the Naval Postgraduate School. East of the hotel grounds are the newly organized neighborhoods of Live Oaks Park and Del Monte Grove, north of the Del Monte Racetrack (now the Monterey Fairgrounds). At the very center of the map is the Laguna del Rey, and beyond the lagoon are several other extensively plotted areas, called "Lake Side Tract," "Vista Del Rey Tract," "East Monterey," "Hot Springs Tract," and "Del Monte Heights," which now make up the town of Seaside. Property inland and to the east of these tracts is surveyed in larger, unnamed plots. The map was compiled by Howard D. Severance, who became the City Engineer of Monterey in 1906, and was responsible for several similar but smaller maps in the second half of that decade that are located at the Monterey Public Library. We do not locate any copies of the present map in OCLC.