[Crockett, Houston County, Texas: 1874-1892]. ; pp. of manuscript entries. Folio. Contemporary ledgers bound in marbled paper-covered boards with calf backstrips. Significant edge wear, chipping, rubbing, and scuffing to spines and boards. Numerous leaves in earlier ledger excised, some leaves partially torn away, extensive scribblings to endpapers, with a few clipping affixed to the rear pastedown of earlier ledger. About good. Item #3374
An informative pair of manuscript ledgers recording business transactions and other information at the farm and general store belonging to J.S. Gilbert and his later partner J.R.O. Heflin in Crockett, Texas beginning in 1874 and running through 1892. The customers listed here include Harkins & Dupuy, R.V. Heflin, F.O. Heflin, F. Alredge & Son, J.M. Heath, J.S Davis, and "Ann the wash woman." The latter two parties were paid for various services including periods of unspecified work ("one months work $15.00"), laundry, mending of clothes, fixing a coffee pot, and more. The regular customers were charged for a variety of products such as tobacco, buttons, cider, clothing, food, pills, coffee, bacon, calico, and other goods desired by late-19th-century farmers and rural residents.
Besides the accounts recorded here, the first ledger records reading notes on "Laws & Rules in Philosophy" (including how "to find the striking force of a body"), several pages of manuscript poetry and songs (including "Paddle Your Own Canoe"), a list of tools left with Gilbert (perhaps as payment for a debt), and notes on the weather. In several instances, Gilbert practices his signature and location, in one instance writing "J.S. Gilbert Crockett Houston Co Texas" eleven times on the same page. He also practiced several times what appears to be a note intended to be sent to various women, offering to walk them to church.
The second ledger records the same types of business information, and notes that Gilbert entered into a partnership with J.R.O. Heflin in 1880. Following the establishment of this partnership, the business is referred to several times as "Gilbert & Heflin." The two may have also bought a farm together in that year, as several pages of entries in the latter ledger record products bought by each "for farm" or "in acct with farm." Products purchased for the farm include cattle, cotton, buckskin, nails, rods for wagons, and other items useful in a farm setting. In 1881, a page of the ledger lists "produce sold on farm." This second ledger includes a few additional customer names such as John Murchison, Joe Henton, S.C Haile, J.F. Leedicker, Shivers & Ellis, M. Bromberg, Joe Patton, Lenard Lamb, and many others. These customers are noted in the ledger as they established accounts with the store throughout the 1880s and through 1892.
A unique manuscript record of the products and services involving a rural general store in east-central Texas for almost twenty years, providing ample opportunity for the study of farm economics in Houston County over this period.