Mexico City: Maucci Hermanos, 1901. Five chapbooks, 16pp. each. 16mo. Color illustrated wrappers, stapled. Very minor wear. Light dust soiling and toning. Very good. Item #3312
Five scarce issues in the "Biblioteca del Niño Mexicano" series of books for children. The Biblioteca consisted of five series: stories of indigenous tradition, discoveries and conquests, the colonial era, independence, and the modern era. José Guadalupe Posada made 440 drawings for the collection, and each issue consisted of sixteen pages with chromolithographed covers and three in-text illustrations. Four issues present are from the "Epoca Moderna" series, and give patriotic accounts of Mexican political and military adventures of the 19th century; one issue is from the third series, "Despues la Conquista," and gives an unflattering account of Hernan Cortes and his quest for gold. The five titles here are as follows:
1) Las Infamias de la Ambicion ó La Cruz de la Aurora.
2) La Campana Siniestra ó las Derrotas Gloriosas.
3) El Genio de la Guerra en Mexico.
4) Maximiliano de Austria ó un Imperio Efímero.
5) El Triunfo del Coloso y los Tratados de Paz.