[N.p., but likely Newton, Ma. n.d., likely 1939]. Carbon copy typescript,  leaves written on rectos only. Brad-bound in a contemporary green two-ring folder, title stamped in black on front cover. Minor staining on covers, moderate edge wear. Very good. Item #2583
A rare account of a thirty-three-day excursion through Mexico by the Appalachian Mountain Club in February and March 1939. The group traveled first by ship from Boston to New Orleans, then presumably by train through San Antonio to Laredo, where they crossed the International Bridge into Mexico. The daily accounts were written by various members of the group, with each entry initialed at the end, and with all member names and addresses provided on the first page. A copy of this log was probably given to each member of the group.
The entries are typically about one page in length, and proceed chronologically throughout the expedition. The group spends their first day in Mexico on February 16 and travels first to Monterey and from there through numerous towns, ending their trip at El Popocatepetl in Puebla, a total journey of about a thousand miles meandering south and west through Mexico. Other cities visited include Jacala, Pachuca, Mexico City, Acapulco, Taxco, Toluca, Tenancingo, Chalma, Zempoala (spelled here Tempoala), Cuernavaca, and Puebla.
The Appalachian Mountain Club explored vast areas of both urban and rural Mexico, some of it on horseback. Since the entries are each written by an individual member of the group, they vary in style and substance, but all contain interesting observations on Mexico, encounters with locals, commentary on food or their surroundings, and more. The member who owned the present copy, Lula G. Adams, has printed her name above the printed title on front cover. She is also listed in the member roll on the first page. She wrote the entry for February 14-15, when the party traveled from New Orleans to Laredo.
The Appalachian Mountain Club is the oldest private club devoted to outdoor activities in the United States. It was founded in 1876 and now has twelve chapters composed of about 275,000 members who embark on about 7,000 trips every year.
No copies reported in OCLC.