Fort Worth: Utter & Evans, [ca. 1900]. Color lithograph map, approximately 17 x 22 inches. Previously folded. A couple of very minor chips at edges. Light tanning. Very good. Item #1796
Rare cadastral map of Schleicher County, Texas, and an attractive promotional for a Fort Worth lithography company. Schleicher County, approximately fifty miles due south of San Angelo, is not and was not a heavily populated region, with a population of just over 500 at the turn of the 20th century. The map, a printing of the 1898 General Land Office ownership plat survey, reflects this, as the preponderance of land belongs to railroads, with individual ownership being concentrated at the eastern border of the county and a large section of University of Texas lands in the northwest corner.
As a result, while the map is a good record of land ownership in this isolated Texas county at the end of the 19th century, it is a perhaps of greater interest for its use as an advertising vehicle for Utter & Evans, Inc., the Fort Worth lithographers who printed it. Several of the plat sections are colored in red, and multiple promotional statements, also in red, are printed across the map -- in the left margin, "This is lithographed -- `chemical printing' -- No cuts used"; in the lower margin, "Remember this -- Utter & Evans can't be beat on price on maps -- one copy or 100,000"; on the map itself, "Put some color on your maps"; and in upper right there is the statement that "100 maps this size of any county in Texas or Oklahoma will be mailed to any address on receipt of $10," beneath which is "Utter & Evans, Inc., Lithographers, 206 West 11th, Fort Worth, Texas."
OCLC locates four copies of the General Land Office county map; we locate only one copy of the map as printed here, with the advertising statements noted, at UT Arlington.