[Austin]: 1919. 114pp. Original printed card covers, stapled. Covers worn and chipped, moderate soiling and wear; spine mostly perished. Light dampstaining and mildewing to first few leaves. Moderate wear, a few contemporary notations to text. About good. Item #1426
Scarce telephone directory for Austin, published by the Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Company. Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone was organized in 1881 to serve Arkansas and Texas, with operational headquarters established in Austin in 1883. In 1912, several Bell Systems firms were consolidated to form the Southwestern System, headquartered in St. Louis; this was later consolidated into Southwestern Bell in 1920. This directory, then, was one of the last issued under the company in its present form. It lists residents and businesses A to Z, interspersed with a handful of local ads.
The scarcity of such items can perhaps be attributed to the clause on the title page, which reads: "This directory...is furnished free of cost to subscribers and must be surrendered to the carrier who delivers the next subsequent issue." We locate three serial records in OCLC: Texas State Library, Austin Public Library, and Angelo State University. Rare, if well-used.