Wichita: Wichita Mapping & Engineering Co., [ca. 1935]. Large blueline map, 40.75 x 47 inches. Rolled. Some excess blue ink along bottom edge. Light wear at edges. Minor toning and dust soiling. Scattered, neat contemporary manuscript annotations. Very good. Item #1420
Imposing and detailed oil and gas map showing developments in Kay County, Oklahoma, bordering Kansas directly south of Wichita. The present map delineates all the oil and gas wells being planned and drilled, and all wells actively producing and abandoned. These are several large concentrations of activity, the largest being between the towns of Blackwell, Braman, Dilworth, and Peckham, northeast of the Chikaskia River, with others located near Tonkawa, Ponca City, and between Newkirk and Kaw. The map also notes land ownership for every section of every township in the county.
"The oil and gas industry stimulated an economic boom in the early 1900s. As early as 1894 gas had been discovered on the Marcus McClaskey farm, southeast of Newkirk. However, he kept the discovery a secret until he could prove up his land claim. By 1902 approximately six gas wells had been drilled northeast of Blackwell. In 1910 Ernest W. Marland, founder of the 101 Ranch Oil Company, drilled seven gas wells on the Millers' 101 Ranch. However, the great oil boom in Kay County was precipitated by the discovery of oil by Marland on the Ponca allotment of Willie Cries (Crys)-for-War in June 1911. Louis H. Wentz soon entered the foray to locate oil in Kay County. The oil boom and bust created temporary peaks in population and several ghost towns, such as Mervine, Dilworth, and Three Sands" - Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture.
Not in OCLC. We locate records for four other maps produced by the Wichita Mapping & Engineering Co., with only one being noted in any appreciable amount of copies.