San Francisco: Theatrical Publishing Co., 1889. Broadside, 17 x 6 inches. Previously folded. Small closed tear at top edge. Even tanning. Very good. Item #1212
An attractive broadside advertisement for entertainments at a downtown San Francisco theater in 1889. The Wigwam Theater was built in 1884 on the corner of Stockton and Geary Streets as a headquarters and event space for the presidential campaign of the Blaine and Logan Republican ticket. After Blaine lost the election to Grover Cleveland, the Republican party leased the brick and sheet iron building to an Austrian immigrant named Gustav Walter, who operated it first as a beer hall, and then turned it into a venue for variety and vaudeville acts in the late 1880s. The present broadside promotes a slate of acts to be performed on March 11, 1889, that range from vaudevillians and sketch comedians to acrobats and prestidigitators. With three lively woodcuts of actors and printed in a variety of types. We locate a portfolio of promotional material for the Wigwam at the Bancroft Library, but no other records.