Medford, Or. 1949. 239,pp. plus large folding map, 17 x 21.5 inches. Original printed card covers, stapled. Light wear and soiling. Contemporary note taped to inside of front cover. Internally clean, map clean with minor wear. Very good plus. Item #1175
Directory for Medford City in Jackson County, Oregon, compiled and published by the local Mormon church. It includes a brief history and promotional text for the town, an index for advertisers, lists of churches and civic clubs, a "yellow pages," and a list of residents both alphabetically and by street address. "It would be hard to find a city better endowed with the qualities necessary for happy and successful living than is Medford." The page facing the start of the alphabetical white pages is a full-page ad for the compilers, featuring a woodcut of the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City with text below that reads, "This directory compiled and published by the missionaries and Medford Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." The map at the back is entitled "City of Medford Oregon 1946 with 1949 Addition." It includes a street index, as well as a large advertisement with an arrow indicating the location of the Home Real Estate Agency. The verso is printed with ads, so that each section of the unfolding map is utilized. Other local ads are featured throughout. Two copies located in OCLC, at the Jackson County Library and the University of Oregon. Though identified on a serials record, this is the only year held by either institution.